Aby Garvey [Founder]
Five fun facts about Aby:
- I love to cook and I love to eat most foods. The only exceptions are coconut, goat cheese, and “meat with feet.”
- I love to run and in 2013 I completed my first half-marathon. This is an amazing accomplishment for me, especially considering I used to hate running when I was younger.
- I’m the mom of two teenagers (!) and one big dog.
- My favorite color is blue, with green coming in a close second.
- At one time in my life I could ride a unicycle, which is truly remarkable because coordination is not one of my strong suits.
Hi, I’m Aby Garvey, and I’m so happy you’re visiting my home on the web—welcome! I started simplify 101 in 2004 after my job moved to Florida and my family and I decided not to go with it. What began as an in-home professional organizing business quickly evolved into helping people around the world get organized via coaching, books, and ultimately online classes. I have created 14 online organizing classes, which I have been teaching since 2007, helping thousands of people around the world get organized. Why do I do what I do? Because I love to help people create positive change and realize new possibilities in their lives. To me, there really is nothing better than that.
Jay Garvey [Tech Guy]
Five fun facts about Jay:
- People think I’m a Life is Good salesman because I am almost always wearing one of their items.
- I left an electronic engineering job to sell scrapbook totes on eBay.
- My favorite expression is “You see what you believe.”
- I like a good challenge. (See number 2 above.)
- I’m a huge fan of taking the road less traveled.
Hi, I’m Jay Garvey, the other co-owner of simplify 101. I handle many of the “behind the scenes” things that go on here at simplify 101. In my former work life, I was an electronics engineer—which makes me the “techie one” here. Our shopping cart, online class system, customer service and email system all fall in my bucket. So, if you ever have any issues with our website, with your order, or with your online experience in general, please contact me. I’m happy to help!
Nancy Vorsanger [Community Leader]
Five fun facts about Nancy:
- I can’t whistle.”
- My favorite colors are hot pink, fuchsia, and magenta. I’m not always sure which is which, but I love them all.
- I used to live a block from the diner on Seinfeld.
- I love crosswords and other word games, but I’ve never been able to complete a Sudoku puzzle.
- I can hardly believe that there was once a world with no Starbucks.
Hi, I’m Nancy Vorsanger. I truly enjoy organizing—in fact, I’m in the process of launching my own organizing business. Organizing my own home has brought me peace of mind and given me more time for the people and things I love. My goal is to help others see the same benefits. To me, a disorganized space is a problem waiting to be solved. I love the challenge of finding a solution! I’m a veteran of many classes at simplify 101. I also love to read about organizing and discuss it, so I’ve been active in the community forum. I’ve always enjoyed exchanging ideas and advice with other participants, so I’m thrilled to be playing a more formal role. Before deciding to become an organizer, I worked as a writer and editor, mostly in the nonprofit sector. I live in New Jersey with my husband and children.
Kelly Plantz [Community Leader]
Five fun facts about Kelly:
- My kids think I tell the funniest jokes.
- I lived on a small tropical island in the East China Sea for 3 years.
- I keep a secret stash of chocolate.
- Thanks to my mom wanting to be different, my middle name is missing an ‘e’.
- I love the beach at sunset.
Hi, I am Kelly Plantz. I’m a homeschooling mom of five children ages 6-16. In a household with that many children, I have no choice but to be organized – or at least try, which is what I do most days! Married to a Marine, I have spent a considerable amount of my life moving around the country and the world, giving me countless opportunities for organizing and simplifying in many different and sometimes challenging spaces. Organizing quickly became a favorite “hobby” for me. I was thrilled to find Aby’s blog long before taking her first simplify 101 online workshop, Quick and Simple Clutter Control, and really enjoyed gleaning whatever tidbit of organizing goodness I could get from her writings. However, it was in this first workshop where I discovered that the simplify 101 community and the teamwork of Aby and Jay were just what I needed to take my “hobby” to the next level.
Maggie [Fuzzy Co-worker]
Five fun facts about Maggie:
- Santa Clause left me on the Garvey’s front porch on Christmas Eve in 2008. I was in a cardboard box with holes in it – no one suspected there was a live puppy inside!
- I love belly rubs, and have been known to get rather demanding with my paws when asking for one.
- I love to go for walks.
- I’ve recently become a fan of riding in the car. I didn’t like this so much when I was a young dog, but now that I’m older, I think its pretty fun to get out and see the world.
- I can’t really count to five. (Am I done yet?)
I’m Maggie Garvey, the real brains behind this operation. A minimalist by nature, I take the idea of simplifying to a whole new level. I find that not much is required to live a very full life—a soft place to sleep, fresh water, healthy food, an occasional treat, long walks, and most importantly, people to love. Here at simplify 101, I enjoy serving as the greeter, foot warmer, security guard and crumb catcher, but my deepest satisfaction comes from setting an example for the people I work with. They are fairly intelligent for humans, and I am proud of the way they learn from my examples of living simply and happily. I hope they are able to share some of my lessons with you!