If you read last week’s quick tip then you know that last week I attended the National Association of Professional Organizer’s conference in New Orleans. It was my fourth time attending this conference, but I haven’t attended in the last few years. I now remember how much this conference exhilarates me.
I am energized by new information and ideas to incorporate into my business and online classes, and I’m excited about the conversations I had with industry colleagues. But I also know that it isn’t just the conference itself that has me exhilarated, it was the process of stepping outside of my regular routine. When you step outside of your regular routine you give your eyes something new to look at and you give your mind the space it needs to think about things in new ways and generate creative ideas. In short, by stepping outside of your regular routine, you change your perspective. This is a terrific way to get unstuck.
Here’s some really good news: You don’t have to travel 1,000 miles or attend a conference to change your perspective and get unstuck. Instead, try one of these simple ideas to mix up your routine and get re-energized:
- Pretend you’re a tourist in your home town and visit some place new to you such as a local park, museum, hiking trail or historic sight. You might be surprised at the undiscovered treasures in your own town.
- Reach out to an acquaintance you’d like to get to know better. Invite him or her to meet you for coffee and conversation at a local cafe.
- Eat at a restaurant you’ve never been to before that serves food that stretches you outside of your culinary comfort zone.
- Go for a walk in the rain.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Give your eyes something new to look at in your home. Declutter a shelf and keep it empty for a few days. See how that open space makes you feel. After a few days, place just one beautiful and meaningful item on the shelf.
- Rearrange the furniture in your home office or another room in your home.
- Go to a movie by yourself in the middle of the day.
As you try your “something new” it’s okay if it feels awkward or even odd. That’s to be expected, and kind of the point. So lean into that feeling and see where these feelings take you. See how shaking up your routine and stepping out of your comfort zone energizes you and helps you get unstuck.
What do you do to get a fresh perspective and get unstuck? Thanks for sharing your ideas in the comments!