The FUNdamentals of Getting Organized Expert-Guided Online Class
How to Declutter and Organize Your Home
Are you so overwhelmed by clutter that you don’t know where to begin? Have you made past attempts to declutter your home and get organized, only to be disappointed when the results unraveled before your eyes? If you’re ready for a fresh start and a fun approach to organizing your home, this online class is for you.
My name is Aby Garvey. I’m the founder and co-owner of simplify 101. Since 2004, I have been helping people organize their homes via my in-home professional organizing services and my organizing coaching program. I have been teaching online organizing workshops at simplify 101 since 2007. Through answering thousands of workshop participant’s and organizing client’s questions, I have developed a unique understanding of the obstacles people face when organizing their own homes. I know what can prevent you from getting started organizing as well as what can stall your progress midstream.
This workshop distills the best techniques for getting motivated to move past your obstacles and organize your home, finally enjoying the freedom that comes from living an organized life. Simply stated, this workshop is based on my years of professional experience in helping thousands of customers get organized and enjoy their own “destination organization.”
How will you benefit from this class?
The FUNdamentals of Getting Organized gives you a complete system for organizing your home using simple yet effective principles. Woven throughout the lessons are 20 organizing FUNdamentals, simple, sticky phrases designed to make the concepts sink-in and stick with you. The information is presented in bite-sized action steps over six lessons, making it simple to put ideas into practice without feeling overwhelmed. By the end of the class, you’ll have finished organizing projects checked off your to-do list. (Yeah, endorphin rush!) Plus, you’ll have everything you need to organize the rest of your home. Each step of the way, I’ll be there to answer your questions, provide motivation and help you work your way around any obstacles that come up as you organize.
This comprehensive program shows you how to organize your home so you can…
- Save time because your home is arranged efficiently. You’ll get your day-to-day tasks done more quickly and you’ll no longer have to hunt for things you can’t find.
- Have more time to spend with friends and family, relaxing and enjoying activities you love to do!
- Save money because you’ll no longer misplace items and have to buy duplicates or replacements.
- Eliminate stress and worry.
- Improve your relationships by alleviating the strain clutter can cause.
- Feel comfortable welcoming guests into your home.
- Enjoy your home, family and life even more!
Format: Expert-guided, online course with lessons released weekly.
Instructor: Aby Garvey
Start Date: January 16, 2014
End Date: March 6, 2014 (This is the final day of instructor participation.)
Class Time: Anytime that fits your schedule! There’s no set time to log in and access your class materials. Once a lesson is released, you can access it 24/7 for a full year.
Duration: 6 lessons, 7 weeks. (Your instructor will be available to answer your question for 7 weeks.)
Schedule: View the workshop syllabus
Access to private online classroom: 1 year
Registration Status: This class is now in progress but you are welcome to join! All previously released materials will be made available immediately upon entering the class. Registration will close on February 5, 2014.
Here’s what you get with The FUNdamentals of Getting Organized class:
Lesson 1: Getting Started on Your Organizing Journey
This lesson lays the foundation for the workshop by introducing you to the idea that organizing is a journey. Here’s what I’ll share with you:
- Get an overview of the journey ahead. If you’re someone who needs to see where you’re headed before diving in and taking action, this overview will get you on the path to success.
- Find out how to make progress on your organizing projects in small steps, so you can finish your organizing projects even if you’re short on time or are currently feeling overwhelmed.
- Understand the difference between key terms such as storage, organization and decluttering, and discover why this distinction is important to the success of your organizing projects.
- Pinpoint what is currently working well in your home as well as the improvements you want to make, so you can prioritize your projects and budget.
- Find out why it is important that you love how your spaces look when you’re finished organizing.
- Collect visual inspiration for your home-organizing projects, so you can begin picturing how you want your home to look (and how great it’s going to feel when you get there!).
- Use a helpful checklist to put together an organizing toolkit, which will make your organizing projects easy to start and finish.
Lesson 2: Clearing the Path to Destination Organization
This lesson will give you the tools you need to declutter your home. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Eliminate clutter using the grab-and-dash decluttering process. You’ll create results quickly and move from feeling overwhelmed or stuck to motivated and energized.
- Find out how to declutter so you can simplify the organizing process.
- Get the inside scoop on 20 common organizing roadblocks, obstacles that will slow down progress or prevent you from even starting your organizing projects. I’ll show you how to work around your organizing obstacles, such as feeling overwhelmed, perfectionism, a lack of time and a limited budget, so you can move forward and create the results you crave.
- Create a personalized plan to address your organizing obstacles. Filled with concrete, doable strategies, your plan will make it possible to organize your home, even if you’ve struggled in the past.
Lesson 3: Select Your Destination + Map out Your Journey
In Lesson 3, you continue decluttering and preparing for your organizing journey. Here’s what you’ll find out and do.
- Explore what being organized means to you—how it looks, how it feels, and most of all, how you’ll spend your time when you arrive at destination organization.
- Discover the elements of an organized home and the role zones play in making a home easy to use and enjoy.
- Create a simple, flexible organizing plan that will eliminate your worry about the best place to start on your organizing journey.
- Find out how to prioritize your projects based on your circumstances, needs and goals. This simple prioritizing system takes the guess-work out of where to start and where to go from there!
- Learn how to make progress on your organizing projects even if you’re short on time.
- Find out how to stay motivated on the organizing journey, even if you have gotten stuck in the past.
Lesson 4: Let’s Hit the Road — Taking Your First Day Trip to Destination Organization
In this lesson, it’s time to organize a small space in your home. Here’s what you’ll enjoy:
- I’ll show you step by step how to organize a space in your home, so you can quickly put the ideas into action, boosting your confidence and motivation.
- Get a template that makes it simple to think through your project before you start, so it’s easy to move forward and create results you love.
- Find out five simple questions you can ask while organizing, so you can organize and declutter items you don’t use, need or love without feeling guilty.
- Get a checklist of things to consider before you select containers. This information takes the guesswork out of container selection, saving you time, money and stress!
- Discover that timing is everything! Find out the best time in the organizing process to purchase containers. (This simple idea will save you time, frustration and money!)
- Learn the ideas and strategies that I’ve found work best when organizing. If you have any questions along the way, I’ll be there to guide you to the best solutions for you so you can quickly get back into action.
Lesson 5: On the Road Again — How to Navigate Larger Organizing Projects
With the experience and confidence of a small project under your (seat) belt, in Lesson 5 you’ll be ready to organize a larger space. You will:
- See how I tackled a larger organizing project in my home. You’ll find out the strategies I use to make big organizing projects manageable, so you can put these ideas into practice in your home.
- Find out how to break a bigger organizing project into a series of smaller, manageable projects—making all of your projects less overwhelming and more doable.
- Discover the role primary storage pieces (such as shelving units, drawer units and cabinets) play in setting up an organized space. If you need to invest in storage pieces for your home, this information will help you make purchases with confidence.
- Find out how to maximize your available storage space using containers and other storage solutions. If you live in a home with limited storage space, these ideas will show you how to make the most out of the space you do have.
- Get in on the action! The organizing process covered in this workshop can be used to organize any physical space in your home*, so you’re invited to work on a bigger project for this lesson’s assignment. This is your last “official” assignment for the workshop, so you’ll have four weeks to get my guidance and ideas on your bigger project, or on multiple smaller projects.
- *Please note: How to organize paper is not covered in this workshop, but is instead covered in its own six-lesson workshop.
Lesson 6: Staying Motivated on Your Organizing Journey
Our final lesson is intentionally light, so you can continue making progress on your organizing projects.
- Get 13 doable techniques to maintain motivation on your organizing journey. If you’ve burned out or lost your way in the past, these ideas are designed to keep you on track this time.
- If you do lose momentum along the way, no worries. Get back into action quickly with the 12 final ideas presented in this lesson.
Risk-free trial period for expert-guided session:
You can try our expert-guided workshops risk-free. If you decide this session isn’t for you, simply cancel your enrollment before Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 5 p.m. U.S. CST. We will give you a full, no-questions-asked refund. To cancel, simply contact us here.